Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng, December 15-18












"For it's stupid to laugh and it's useless to bawl,
About a rusty tin can and an old hurley ball..."


-The Pogues


Well, the above quote was inspired by my biking experience in Luang Prabang -long story short, my rented bike was stolen while I perused the most gruesome images of Buddhist purgatory (who knew?!) in a Wat. I hope there's karmic justice for the thief. The mistake of not locking it up cost me $70, so I can't complain too much.

I took a kayak trip along the Ou River which was spectacular. And a cooking class on Laos food that included a trip to the market to learn about ingredients. Laos people are proud and knowledgeable about their culture, including food.


I also watched the monks collecting alms one early morning. The disappointing part was the other tourists who, despite numerous explanatory posters around town, obstructed the entire ceremony with photography (including flashes). One guy I met was so peeved about a tourist's behaviour that he rushed up to one and took his photograph!

Had a lovely dinner out with my companions at a festively-lit garden style restaurant where we had a Lao style BBQ. This consists of a large clay pot filled with coals, over which sits an urn that contains both broth (for hotpot) and a grill (for BBQ). Delicious and fun!


And then onward to Vang Vieng, one of the strangest places in Asia (and that's saying something). It's like a cross between a North American rec room (with regard to bad taste and the ubiquity of television), a derelict bar district, and Khao San Road in Bangkok (loud, loutish expats). Of course Asia influenced (surprisingly calm locals wait patiently for drunken guys to get off the roof of their truck, locals still smile at me). I'll reserve judgement on this place until I have had a few more days here.















3 comments:

Miriam Vaswani said...

Laos sounds great, I love the camera story.

Oooh, I can't wait to get there. Everyone raves about Laos.

pee-ah said...

Love the Pogues almost as much i love the apron.. please tell me you bought one : ) oh and i call plagiarism on the reference to your last bog “ all i want for Christmas..” mind you they do say that imitation is the sincerest from of flattery : ).. hmmmmm

Unknown said...

Thor: That cooking photo makes you look like a tall Loasian. But I guess that's what you are there for - to really get into the culture.

Make sure to eat fancy French food in Vientienne. Hit the prix fixe place for lunch and then the "square area" for dinner. My comments may match your guide book, otherwise sorry for the confusion.

We rented a scooter whcih lets you see the whole place in a day. And fun. Don't drink and ride! (Don;t drink and type.)