Sunday, November 30, 2008

Koh Mook - Koh Lanta, November 26 to 30


"I got my hands in the river,
my feet back up on the bank,
I looked up at the Lord above and said:
'Hey man, thanks'"

-Tragically Hip


I owe a debt of gratitude to Gordon Downey for making music that one can rock out to over the roar of a boat engine (props to the Lord above, too). After a few days, the peaceful yet active lifestyle on Lipe grew repetitive, so Neils, Annette and I boated to Koh Mook, where it was immediately obvious we had made a mistake. It was overly quiet, difficult to change money (nay, impossible), and overly quiet! It was, however beautiful, even in rain. Like good travellers, we made the most of it, exploring the island in a few short hours and having a nice dinner at my posh hotel (the first place I have stayed where I was comfortable using their sheets!).


We left first thing for Koh Lanta, which is more my speed. Registered for a dive course and settled into an unusual hotel arrangement -we're basically staying in the worst huts at a nice beach side resort. As a result, I get my own hot with bathroom for $15, but have access to 3 pools, a sumptuous dining area, and associated services that come with a real vacation resort! Annette found rats in her room last night though, so it's not ideal!


The American girls arrived two days later and were a most welcome site. Our party of five is
back together again. The recent events in Bangkok are causing a little worry about flights for some of us, though I'm least likely to be affected. I understand that at home an incompetent government may be about to lose power too! Perhaps things for Canada will work out for the best this year.

1 comment:

Anke said...

Good story Thor! I am happy you guys are still having fun, although sometimes traveling can be hard isn't it! Are you almost having your PADI? And how is the rest going? xxx Anke