Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Bangkok (Nov. 14-17)

There really is nothing like flying into Bangkok, jumping a bus to Sukhumvit Road and checking into a clean, comfy room near the SkyTrain! Having flown from Jordan to Abu Dhabi to Bahrain to Bangkok over nearly 24 hours, I took a nap and then a lovely swim. Met a cool German guy on his way to Bhutan, so I took him to one of my favourite restairants nearby.

The next day I spent nearly four hours at Central World shopping centre. Normally I am not a fan of shopping malls, but the ones in Siam Square are extraordinary. Street-friendly, architecturally-interesting, bright, spacious and well-stocked, they make Canadian malls look pale. Bangkok malls are the antithesis of Bangkok's streets: clean, cool, roomy, and prices are firm!

Then flew to Phuket to board my Similan Island liveaboard trip. So no blogging for 4 days. See you Nov. 22!

PS: in case you are wondering: "What about India?", I changed my flight to allow some dive time. Pics soon!

2 comments:

Ben Johnson said...

OK, I'm really starting to worry about you: buying a Porsche, vacationing in the Emirates, singing the praises of malls. Time to redeem yourself in India!

At least you're back in civilization (BKK)

Thor Abroad said...

Oh it IS civilised! So good to be back at ny seconbd home!

PS: went to Cabbages and Condoms again for another excellent meal...