Sunday, November 6, 2011

Leaving Kathmandu (Nov. 6)


"When you left town,
time stood still..."

-The Brakemen

The trip out of Kathmandu deserves its own post. Mark kindly took me to the airport in the hotel's van. On the way we passed the riverside ghats where bodies are cremated. No smell this time.

At the airport, it was chaos. The trip from front step to jetway took nearly two hours and included two bag x-rays, one manual bag search, and three different pat downs. None of this redundant security provided any sense of comfort as each search was done my disinterested guards half-heartedly. Once asked me if I was carrying a knife in my bag (no, just a few machetes).

Took my place in the goodness of business class (amidst the wealthy Thai holidaymakers) and soaked up the great food and wines.

Arrived in Bangkok to familiar, reliable comfort of a place I have been many times. Adjusted my watch ahead 1:15 mins (yes, Nepal is ahead of GMT by a 45 minute increment!) and trained into the city and straight to Cherry and Patrick's place without incident.

No comments: